Infant dies of infection

Infant dies of infectionStavanger.Infant dies of infection.Photo: Carina Johansen / NTB scanpix

An infant died on Friday after it was infected by intestinal bacteria at Stavanger University Hospital. More children are infected.

The child who died was one of the total of seven preterm children who were isolated for several cases of infection of the intestinal bacteria Klebsiella pneumoniae in the neonatal intensive care unit at Stavanger University Hospital Thursday.
“We have reason to believe that the cause is blood poisoning,” said Inger Cathrine Bryne from Stavanger University Hospital to newspaper Stavanger Aftenblad.
The death was confirmed at a news conference at the hospital Friday afternoon.

When the condition of the baby deteriorated, it was transferred to the National Hospital in Oslo, but his life could not be saved.
According to the newspaper, mothers who are at risk of giving birth prematurely are now being transferred to other hospitals.
The bacteria are only dangerous to premature infants, who already have a weakened immune system.

 

Source: NTB scanpix / Norway Today

Be the first to comment on "Infant dies of infection"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*