Krekar released after being acquitted of threats

Krekar released after being acquitted of threatsOSLO. Mulla Krekar.Photo: Heiko Junge / NTB scanpix

Mullah Krekar is a free man after the Court of Appeal ruled that he is not guilty of having made threats in an NRK interview last year. However, the 59-year-old still risks extradition to Italy, where there is a terror charge against him.
– It’s a good day. I have a client who has been crystal clear from day one that he never intended to threaten or incite to hurt anyone,  Krekar’s lawyer Brynjar Meling says to the news agency NTB.
Last October  Krekar was sentenced to one and a half years in prison by the Oslo District Court  for threats and incitement to offenses against a Kurd in an NRK interview. Krekar appealed.
On Thursdat at least four of the jurors in Court of Appeal disagreed with the original verdict on the question of threats and incitement to offenses,Meling said.

Accused terrorist
However,  the Italian authorities also want Krekar to stand trial for criminal charges . The charges are plotting terrorist acts and, because of suspicpions from the Italian authorities, leadership of the terrorist organization Rawti SHAX.
In February Krekar was jailed for eight more weeks in connection with this case, and because of this  he was to basically be imprisoned until mid-April. On Monday this week , however, the Italian authorities canceled their request for extended custody.
– After a thorough evalutation, Italy has decided that Mullah Krekar no longer need to remain in custody in Norway, communications director Trond Hugubakken PST said.
Italy, however, still uphold their request for the  extradition ofKrekar . This also applies to another request in connection with the case for the extradition of two other people.

 

Source: NTB scanpix / Norway Today

Be the first to comment on "Krekar released after being acquitted of threats"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*