Defense Minister Ine Eriksen Søreide mentioned that Russia is trying to have some show off by using atomic powers in Baltic sea.
Russia has now moved two corvettes that can carry nuclear weapons from the Black Sea to the base in Kaliningrad on the Baltic Sea. In addition, Russia has recently deployed missiles in Kaliningrad that can carry nuclear weapons.
– It is a visualization of increased Russian military capability. They show off their new military equipment, says Ine Eriksen Søreide to news agency NTB.
She believes Russian military posturing has been a clear policy for a long time now and especially after the annexation of the Crimea.
– Much of the activity we see is about to show increased responsiveness, agility, new military capabilities and new technology, says Søreide.
– It is obvious that they have ambitions to show off their new military capabilities, she said.
The defense minister says that Norway observes a slightly different pattern in the north than what the Swedes, Finns and the Baltic countries are experiencing in the Baltic Sea Region.
– But we see a general increase in Russian military capability and a willingness to use military forces. It has consequences for how we align our defense, which has consequences for how NATO adapts as well, says Søreide.
– That is also why we have arranged long-term plan for defense as we have done, she says.
Source: NTB scanpix / Norway Today