The US defense secretary Ashton Carter condemns North Korea’s nuclear test. – This is a destabilizing and provocative action, he said at a press conference at Gardermoen.
Carter, who is now on a two-day visit to Norway, had been in talks with South Korean Defense Minister Han Min-goo Friday and could tell that also Min-goo condemns the North Korea nuclear test strongly.
Reaffirms strong ties
– I assure Min-goo that America is on duty 24 hours a day to withstand the threats from North Korea, said Carter during a press conference with the Norwegian Minister of Defence Ine Eriksen Søreide.
– US forces in Korea Peninsula are ready for battle, he added.
The US defense secretary also said that North Korea should be held accountable and the sanctions against the country should be increased. This was also discussed during the meeting that the Security Council had Friday night, he informs.
Praises long-term plan
Furthermore, Carter thanks for his two-day stay in Norway and says he has been inspired especially by the military long-term plan.
– It is an important and impressive plan. It will help Norway to contribute additional security both in Europe and elsewhere, he said.
The American defense secretary believes the long-term plan shows that Norway take the current challenges seriously.
Moreover, he emphasized Norway’s role as an ally of both the US and Europe.
– Norway is a strong and important security partner in many ways. Both in the Atlantic, Arctic and Afghanistan. Norway is also part of the IS-campaign, he said.
In addition, he believed that Norway’s purchase of the US F-35 fighter planes shows that Norway invests correctly and is keen on innovation and technology, such as the United States.
Source: NTB scanpix / Norway Today