A refrigerator full of vaccines in Sarpsborg malfunctioned on Friday night. Now the clock is ticking due to the vaccine’s shelf life, and the Municipality is urgently calling in personnel.
“We have had an accident with a refrigerator at our vaccine center. The vaccines are not stored properly at the correct temperature,” Øivind Werner Johansen at Sarpsborg Municipality told newspaper VG.
The refrigerator, which contained about 600 doses, lost power during the night.
Half were Pfizer vaccines that were to be used as a second dose for the elderly on Friday. The elderly who had vaccination appointments had to be sent home on Friday.
In dialogue with the FHI
The Municipality is in dialogue with the National Institute of Public Health (FHI) about whether these vaccines can still be used or whether they must be discarded.
More than 300 other vaccines in the refrigerator from AstraZeneca can still be used. Plans to administer these doses are now being accelerated before the expiry date.
“We will go through what has happened and do everything we can to ensure that it does not happen again,” Johansen said.
Source: © NTB Scanpix / #Norway Today / #NorwayTodayNews
Do you have a news tip for Norway Today? We want to hear it. Get in touch at email@example.com