Ambassador Jean-François Dobelle says France will respond to the attack in Nice and get tougher on IS worldwide.
– We will continue to fight harder against them, including in Iraq and Syria, Dobelle said.
Dobelle, who is France’s ambassador to Norway, called the terrorist attack in Nice a cruel tragedy and says that a number of French people in Norway have been in contact with the embassy for information about the attack that killed at least 84 people.
– This is the third time France has been hit by terrorism since January 2015, when the satire magazine Charlie Hebdo was attacked. These people are driven by fanaticism and ignorance, and they do not hesitate to implement these barbaric acts, said Dobelle.
Several researchers have speculated that the attack was intended to weaken the French economy and create division in the French population through fear, but Dobelle does not think the attacker will succeed.
– They say they are acting on behalf of Islam, but it is not true. The first victims of terrorist attacks were Muslims. We do not want to participate in a division. Among ordinary Frenchmen and most ordinary Muslims who do not share the ideology of extremists, he said, stressing that it is important that everyone stays together.
Prosecutors in Paris have started terrorist investigation of the attack that killed at least 84 people, several of them children, and injured 70 on Thursday. No one has so far taken on responsibility for the attack. Three days of mourning in France will be observed from Saturday.
Source: NTB scanpix / Norway Today