Dog dies after bathing in water with toxic algae in Stokke in Sandefjord

AlgaePhoto: Liz Harrell / Unsplash
Advertisements

A dog died after swimming in Akersvannet in Stokke in Sandefjord. The cause is probably toxic algae in the water.

There is a suspicion of poisoning from cyanobacteria, formerly called blue-green algae. Liver damage, which these toxins are known to cause, was detected in the dog, the Veterinary Institute stated.

Such deaths have been reported among dogs in the United States, Canada, and Germany. In Norway, there have been suspected cases before but no confirmed ones.

Such bacteria are often visible in the form of the water turning green. They accumulate in bays in the water, and such areas can contain large amounts of toxins.

Note: The picture used is for illustration purposes only.

Source: © NTB Scanpix / #Norway Today / #NorwayTodayNews

Do you have a news tip for Norway Today? We want to hear it. Get in touch at info@norwaytoday.no

Advertisements

Be the first to comment on "Dog dies after bathing in water with toxic algae in Stokke in Sandefjord"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*