“It is with great sadness that we have received the message that there is no longer any hope of finding survivors after the landslide in Gjerdrum,” Prime Minister Erna Solberg said on Tuesday.
In a statement, Solberg said that her thoughts went out to those who have lost their loved ones in the landslide after the police stated that there was no longer any hope of finding survivors in the landslide area in Ask in Gjerdrum Municipality.
“It hurts to think that children have passed away. I want to thank the rescue crews who have done everything they could to save lives,” Solberg, who visited the rescue workers in Gjerdrum after the landslide last Wednesday, noted.
As of Tuesday, seven people have so far been found dead at the landslide site, while three people have still not been accounted for.
The Eastern Police District received notification of the landslide on Wednesday, December 30.
The landslide is among the largest in Norway’s history. According to the Norwegian Water Resources and Energy Directorate (NVE), the landslide was 700 meters long and 300 meters wide.
A total of 31 housing units were swept away by the landslide. The cause of the landslide is not yet known.
© NTB Scanpix / #Norway Today