Thursday, 23 June UK holds a referendum on whether the country should remain a EU member.
* The question reads: “Should the UK remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?”
* The vote takes place on the basis of a new agreement with the EU negotiated by Prime Minister David Cameron , which has given more power and rights to the UK.
* Cameron fights for continued membership, while his fellow party member Boris Johnson fronts the “leave” camp.
* UK joined the EU precursor EC in 1973. Membership was confirmed in a referendum in 1975, where 66 percent voted for remaining in the EC. Despite this, the EU-skepticism has been greater in the UK than in most other EU countries.
* The British have chosen to remain outside of the euro. They have also opted out of some of the EU agreements, such as the Schengen Agreement.
Source: NTB scanpix / Norway Today