Applying for a Norwegian citizenship or thinking about it? Read on for more details.
At the very end of 2020, the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) published an update in the Citizen Act legislation.
Increase in residency requirement
Be aware that the residency requirement has changed if you’re seeking permanent residence or citizenship in Norway.
The update applies to:
- Those who are married to a Norwegian
- Those who have a Norwegian cohabitant
- Those who have a registered Norwegian partner
- Those living in Norway based on special protections or other considerations
- Those living in Norway based on family reunification
If you’re in one of these groups, the permanent residence requirement -based on residency – for you is increasing from three to five years.
During these five years, you’re permitted to travel abroad for a maximum of 10 months.
If you meet the following two requirements, the new rule does not apply to you:
- Applying for citizenship in the application portal by February 1, 2021, and;
- Meeting the three-year residency requirement by December 1, 2020
If you meet both of these requirements, you do not have to add two additional years.
But if you applied on or after December 1, 2020, you will have to meet the new rule of five years.
For more information, head here.
Source: #Norway Today, #NorwayTodayNews