The Oslo Public Prosecutor’s Office has issued an indictment against a 35-year-old Norwegian citizen. The 35-year-old is said to have been paid around NOK 10 million in corona support.
The indictment includes nine completed frauds and eight attempted frauds, the police wrote in a press release.
On the basis of the incorrect information in the applications, the NAV has paid the man a total of NOK 10 million.
The accused is also said to have tried to get an additional NOK 7 million from the same scheme with the same procedure, but the NAV stopped the payments. He applied for a total of NOK 17 million.
Money laundering network
After the payments from the NAV, the police believe that a money laundering network further transferred the money.
“This is one of the largest corona frauds that has been uncovered so far,” the police noted.
The accused man has been remanded in custody, and the case is scheduled to start in Oslo District Court on August 24, 2021. The NAV will file a civil claim for compensation of just over NOK 9 million.
The accused has denied criminal guilt.
Source: © NTB Scanpix / #Norway Today / #NorwayTodayNews
Do you have a news tip for Norway Today? We want to hear it. Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org