The police searched a Norwegian luxury villa this weekend in the hunt for a man suspected of being behind the explosion in Gothenburg last week.
The 55-year-old suspect was remanded in custody in absentia on Monday, charged with, among other things, gross public destruction. He is also wanted internationally.
Already on Saturday, however, Norwegian police, in collaboration with their Swedish colleagues, searched an address in Norway, the newspaper Expressen writes.
According to the newspaper’s information, the police discovered what they thought were clues connected to the bomber in Oslo, which led to the police action in a villa in one of Oslo’s most exclusive areas. The accused man was not found.
The current owner of the home, a successful Norwegian businessman, told Expressen that he wasn’t in contact with the accused.
“I have been called by the police and could tell them that this man is not to be found in the house. From what I understand, he was registered at the address 20 years ago or something like that, but I know nothing more. He is definitely not there,” he said.
The former owner of the home, also a Norwegian businessman, confirmed that he rented out part of the house to the bomber many years ago.
“He rented an apartment from me for many years, so of course I have met him. He said he was a ship broker,” he added.
He says mail continued to arrive at the apartment long after the accused left the apartment, as he never reported that he moved.
Source: © NTB Scanpix / #Norway Today / #NorwayTodayNews
Do you have a news tip for Norway Today? We want to hear it. Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org