Although the Norwegian government has introduced a number of new corona measures, Espen Nakstad at the Norwegian Directorate of Health believes that the situation was far worse in March.
In the last 24 hours, 433 new corona infection cases were registered in Norway.
Despite the fact that this is the highest number so far during the pandemic, the National Institute of Public Health (FHI) believes that Norway has no new national corona wave and that the situation is far less dramatic than in March.
According to newspaper VG, that view is shared by the assistant director of the Norwegian Directorate of Health Espen Nakstad.
“It is not as dramatic right now, because in March we tested only a tenth of everyone who was ill, maybe. Now, we test – and we will probably find – half of those who are ill,” Nakstad told the newspaper.
He says the situation in mid-March was probably four to five times worse in terms of infection and hospitalizations.
“But it is the development that is worrying… But we have the opportunity to turn this around now,” Nakstad added.
“If we take action now, there is a much greater chance that we can have a normal Christmas with our extended family,” Prime Minister Erna Solberg (H) said at the government’s press conference on Monday.
The new measures will take effect from midnight on Wednesday this week and will last until early December.
© NTB Scanpix / #Norway Today