The man who drove over a 13-year-old boy at Haugenstua in Oslo on Thursday without stopping was considering turning himself in, his lawyer told newspaper VG.
The man’s lawyer Harald Fjeldstadshared the information with VG.
“But he did not get that far before the police were at the door,” Fjeldstad added.
The man in his 30s was arrested in his home in Oslo at 1 o’clock on Friday night.
He is now charged with negligent homicide, driving under the influence of drugs, and fleeing the scene after the incident.
“He explained that he panicked after the incident and saw that there were other cars that came, so he realized the boy would get help,” the lawyer said.
The boy was hit by a dark Mitsubishi near Grorud station at around 7:00 PM on Thursday.
He died at Ullevål hospital on Friday afternoon.
Lawyer Fjeldstad told news bureau NTB that his client admitted to hitting the boy with his car but that he has not taken a position on criminal guilt.
The police state that the man was also charged with driving under the influence after an episode in Oslo earlier in December.
© NTB Scanpix / #Norway Today