Swastika sprayed on July 22nd memorial in Tønsberg
“A person is arrested in Tønsberg for having sprayed a Swastika on the memorial after the July 22nd terror attack,” the police informs.
Tønsbergs Blad reports that a person is arrested for the misdeed just before 5 in the afternoon.
“The investigation has revealed who this is. The perpetrator is arrested and charged with damage to the memorial. The accused is now in prison. A further investigation is underway to investigate whether there are others involved in this,” Operations Manager of Southeastern Police District, André Kråkenes tells NTB.
It was passers-by on their way to work who discovered the Swastika and informed the municipality. Tønsberg Municipality informed just after 7 am that they had been able to remove the worst. The memrioal would thus be spick and span before the marking.
The latest information is that another person is apprehended in the case. Both men are supposedly in their twenties.
Prime Minister Erna Solberg (Conservatives) tells NTB that she believes that the vandalism is horrendous.
“It’s absolutely awful. It is difficult to refrain from thinking that this is someone who has a political motive; who is somehow tempted by this mindset,” she states.
“If it’s just a prank, it’s extremely insensitive to do so on a day such as today. Something which contributes to making it even worse for all those who have experienced July 22nd,” Solberg continues.
The leader of the Labour Party, Jonas Gahr Støre, also highlighted the misdeed in his speech on the summer camp at Utøya.
“We can’t have it like that. When this is allowed to continue, there is something in our society that fails. Have we really managed to live up to the goals Jens Stoltenberg said about more openness and more democracy?” Støre asked from the pulpit.
Facts about the terrorist attack July 22nd
- 77 persons were killed and around 90 wounded in the terrorist attacks on the Government Quarter in Oslo and at AUF’s summer camp on Utøya in Tyrifjorden (Buskerud) on July 22nd, 2011.
- 69 persons, mainly youths, were killed in the shooting massacre on Utøya. 60 was injured.
- 8 persons were killed in a bomb explosion in the Government Quarter. Around 30 were injured.
- The 950 kg fertiliser bomb did extensive damage to several of the government buildings.
- Right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik, now Fjotolf Hansen, is sentenced to 21 years detention for the attacks.
© NTB Scanpix / #Norway Today