What we know about the deadly bow and arrow attack in Kongsberg (10 PM update)

AmbulancesPhoto: Joakim Fjeldli / NTB
Advertisements

A deadly bow and arrow attack took place in Kongsberg on Wednesday evening. Five people have been killed and others injured.

You can find the timeline of the events related to the incident below:

6:13 – 6:28 PM

The police were notified of an attack in a store in Kongsberg at 6:13 PM. Roughly 15 minutes later, the Southeastern Police District stated that an operation was “underway in Kongsberg center in connection with a person observed with a bow and arrow.”

“(The man) shot at persons with this (i.e., the bow and arrow). The public is asked to stay indoors. The police do not have control over the person,” the police stated at the time.

7:24 – 7:54 PM

At 7:24 PM, the Southeastern Police District stated that one perpetrator had been arrested. 

“It’s a serious incident. The police will publish with more information soon,” the report stated.

At 7:54 PM, the newspaper VG reported that PST had been informed of the situation.

8:30 – 8:43 PM

About 8:30 PM, the police confirmed that several people had been injured and several others killed in the attack. 

They also stated in a press briefing that Drammen Hospital and Ullevål Hospital were on standby.

Kongsberg Municipality set up crisis staff to assist those in need.

At 8:43 PM, the Ministry of Justice tweeted that Minister of Justice and Emergency Management Monica Mæland had been informed about the situation at Kongsberg.

After 9 PM

At 9:37 PM, the police have decided to temporarily arm their forces after the serious incident.

Police: Naturally to assess whether the incident is a terrorist act 

The police say it is natural to assess whether the attack was an act of terrorism.

Øyvind Aas, head of the operating unit in the Buskerud police, confirmed that several people were killed in the attack.

“We believe one person performed these acts alone. It is natural to consider whether it is an act of terrorism. The person in question has not been questioned,” Aas said at 10 PM.

“There are many crime scenes – this person has moved over a large area where criminal acts have been committed,” Aas said.

He confirmed that there had been a confrontation between the perpetrator and the police but says that there were no injured police officers.

Shortly after 11 PM, the police announced that 5 people had been killed in the attack.

Source: © NTB Scanpix / #Norway Today / #NorwayTodayNews

Do you have a news tip for Norway Today? We want to hear it. Get in touch at info@norwaytoday.no

Advertisements

Be the first to comment on "What we know about the deadly bow and arrow attack in Kongsberg (10 PM update)"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*