Nora tops Statistics Norway’s (SSB) name statistics for girls’ names in 2020. Jacob was the most popular boy’s name.
A total of 416 girls were named Nora last year, while 362 girls were named Emma. Nora was also a top name in 2012 and 2014, and it came in second in 2019.
It is the third most popular girl name after the turn of the millennium, after Emma and Sara.
A total of 422 boys were named Jacob or Jakob. Emil was the second most popular name among boys, while Noah or Noa ended up in third place.
In 2019, Emma, Nora, and Sofie topped the statistics for girl names. On the boys’ side, Jakob, Lucas, and Filip were the most popular.
Here are the most popular boy names in 2020 (the name in the same place on the top list in 2019 is noted in parentheses):
- Jakob / Jacob 422 (Jakob / Jacob)
- Emil 419 (Lukas / Lucas)
- Noah / Noah 396 (Philip / Philip / Phillip / Philip)
- Oliver 382 (Oscar / Oscar)
- Filip / Fillip / Phillip / Philip 381 (Oliver)
- William 339 (Emil)
- Lucas / Lukas 316 (Henrik)
- Liam 308 (William)
- Henrik 300 (Noah / Noah)
- Oscar / Oscar 297 (Aksel / Axel)
And these are the most popular girl names in 2020 (the name in the same place on the top list in 2019 is noted in parentheses):
- Nora/Norah 416 (Emma)
- Emma 362 (Nora/Norah)
- Ella 337 (Sofie/Sophie)
- Maja/Maia/Maya 321 (Ella)
- Olivia 315 (Olivia)
- Emilie 315 (Ada)
- Sophie/Sofie (Sofia/Sophia)
- Leah/Lea 288 (Sara/Sarah/Zara)
- Sofia/Sophia 282 (Maja/Maia/Maya)
- Ingrid 271 (Ingrid)
Source: #Norway Today, #NorwayTodayNews
Do you have a news tip for Norway Today? We want to hear it. Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org