Kleven yard in western Norway has entered into a contract worth billions with Hurtigruten. – The biggest investment we have ever made , the CEO of Hurtigruten says .
– This is one of the bright spots in a difficult situation for the shipbuilding industry, so it can serve as source of inspiration for all of the west coast , Prime Minister Erna Solberg says.
Kleven yard in western Norway has signed a contract with Hurtigruten to build two new ships, with an option for two additional vessels.
– This is a contract worth several billion NOK. It is by far the largest investment Hurtigruten have ever done , CEO Daniel Skjeldam says.
– It’s a happy day in Ulsteinvik, in an area that has been going through trying times, Solberg, who is taking part in the celebration, says.
– We are going to celebrate! We are extremely pleased that a Norwegian shipyard secured the contract. There will be many jobs both at the shipyard and suppliers in the years to come, Skjeldam says.
Kleven shipyard won the international competition against 11 other shipyards.
– This contract shows that there is great hope for Norwegian shipbuilding in other markets than oil, and that those who are competitive, can get into other important markets, says Solberg.
Kleven is the country’s largest shipbuilding group. In 2015 the company had around 770 employees in western Norway.
Hurtigruten has been through a significant restructuring the last three years, after being run at a loss for several years. The new ships will primarily be used outside of Norwegian waters.
– We see great great potential in other parts of the world, in the Arctic and the Antarctic, the CEO says.
– This will be the most awesome expedition ships in the world and comfort will be world class, he promises.
– It is exciting that Hurtigruten is willing to investing so daringly , and it shows their strength, which is cruise experiences in cold climates, an enthusiastic prime minister says.
Source: NTB scanpix / Norway Today