Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre (AP) has been informed about the knife attack that took place at Bislett in Oslo on Tuesday morning.
“I understand well that those who were in the Bislett area in the morning experienced the situation as dramatic, with police action and shootings. This is not how it should be in a Norwegian city,” Støre told NTB.
- Bislett knife attack: What we know so far
- Update: Police confront man at Bislett in Oslo, shoot him: “A threatening situation”
- Oslo shooting: Norwegian police introduce emergency carrying of arms
“But I am glad that the police seem to have solved the situation. Then, we have to wait to see what the investigation will reveal about the (case) background,” he added.
Violent incidents and shootings have weeks created a debate about the situation in the capital in recent. This is something the government takes very seriously, Støre noted.
“The Minister of Justice has in recent days been in good dialogue with the City Council about police presence and follow-up in Oslo,” he said.
“But if you compare it with other large cities in Europe, Oslo is a safe city,” he concluded.
Source: © NTB Scanpix / #Norway Today / #NorwayTodayNews
Do you have a news tip for Norway Today? We want to hear it. Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org