Website maintenance:

We will carry out maintenance on the website for a period to come. We apologize in advance for any problems this may cause. If you are unable to access the website it is probably due to updates. Please try to re-enter the website in 10 minutes time. Sincerely, The Web Development team!

Falls the most common of occupational accidents

worker accident construction house occupational accidentConstruction workers. Photo:


Of almost 22,000 occupational accidents reported to Nav last year, there were five casualties. Roughly 1 in 5 were accidents from falling.


This is stated in a report from Statistics Norway (SSB).

In 2017, 21,937 occupational accidents were reported to Nav. This is a decline of 2.3 per cent from 2016.

20.8 per cent of reported accidents were involving falls from buildings or other high places.

The other two most common types of accidents were shocks or hits, which constituted 15.8 per cent and other, unexplained causes, which were just under 13 per cent.

Fall is the dominant accident type not only in industries such as construction, transport and storage but also in education, public administration and social research.

45 per cent of occupational accidents ended with long-term absence, and the remaining 55 per cent ended in short-term absence from work or studies.

The most serious occupational accidents occur in transport and storage.

There were 8 occupational accidents per 1,000 employees in Norway in 2017, and 3.6 employees out of 1,000 had accidents that ended in a long-term absence from work. In the transport and storage industry, this figure was 6.3 per mille.


© NTB scanpix / #Norway Today



Be the first to comment on "Falls the most common of occupational accidents"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.