Many dangers for pets on the table at Christmas!
It is tempting to give the dog an extra treat at Christmas. But remember that much of the food we eat can be dangerous for dogs.
– Sweets like chocolate, grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs, and even small amounts can lead to organ damage and even death, says veterinarian and internist Magnus Herjen at AniCura Animal Hospital in Oslo.
Especially dangerous is the dark chocolate and cocoa, which have the substance teobromin.Teobromin poisoning affects the nervous system, heart, blood circulation and the muscles. Milk chocolate also contains theobromine, but in lower concentrations.
Raisins, grapes and certain types of nuts should also be kept away from dogs.
– A dog that has eaten raisins or grapes, can get irreversible kidney damage that can be fatal. Symptoms and signs of kidney damage can sometimes occur gradually and not be apparent right away, says Herjen.
Over Christmas AniCura receives far more cases of pets with gastrointestinal problems than the rest of the year.
– Previously, it was customary to give the dog and cat leftovers from the dinner table. Fortunately not so many do that anymore. But at Christmas, many people are tempted to give their dog or cat something extra. It could have unfortunate consequences, says the vet.
Herjen reminds us that Christmas cookies, buns and dairy products should be reserved for two-legged creatures. This is not a food that is suitable for dogs, which can cause stomach problems and diarrhea.
A useful infographics has been put together by cyberpet.com
Pinnekjøtt and ribs
To reward your dog with a small bite of sausage or some ham is usually fine. Most dogs tolerate some meat from cattle, pig or chicken. It is worse with salty foods like lamb ribs, or fatty foods such as ribs and Christmas sausage.
– Salt meat can cause stomach problems, and large meals with fatty foods can cause acute inflammation of the pancreas that causes vomiting and abdominal pain. In the most severe cases it can lead to shock and death. Bits of bone can cause major damage in the gut and in the worst case can block the esophagus or the small intestine, says devastated.
Onions, or foods that contain a lot of onions, is also not good for dogs. Onions cause hemolysis, which can lead to destruction of red blood cells and acute severe anemia.
– Anything containing sugar should be kept away from our four-legged friends, and artificial sweeteners can be extremely dangerous. Xylitol is a sweetening that is frequently used, including in sugarless gum. Xylitol has insulin-like properties on a dog, and even small amounts can cause severe low blood sugar, which in turn can lead to convulsions, seizures, coma and death. Later damage to the liver is also common at xylitolforgiftning in dogs, he said.
Signs of poisoning
– Signs that a dog is poisoned depends on what it has ingested. Symptoms such as depression, lethargy, nausea and drooling, tremors and convulsions should arouse suspicion. Some types of poisoning will cause acute symptoms, while others may occur gradually over days to weeks, says Herjen.
It is therefore important to take your dog to the vet immediately if you suspect poisoning.
– If the animal is taken early to the vet, the prognosis is often good if the stomach contents can be emptied by inducing vomiting or by gastric lavage, or if bits of bone can be removed by surgery. Please phone your vet immediately if you take your dog on peach in chocolate bowl!
Do not forget that many of the typical Christmas plants are poisonous to humans and animals. Hellebore, poinsettia and amaryllis should neither children, dogs or cats try.
Christmas’ main list of no-no’s
Dangerous foods for dogs and cats:
- Food with onions
Fatty foods such as rib bones, especially from fish and birds.
Bread, cakes and donut dough
- Chewing gum and other products containing xylitol
- Forbidden candy
© AniCura / #Norway Today