New survey: 57% of people in Rogaland want oil and gas exploration in Norway to continue

Oil fieldPhoto: Håkon Mosvold Larsen / NTB
Advertisements

The skepticism towards continued oil and gas exploration is growing in Rogaland, a new survey that Respons Analysis has carried out for the newspaper Stavanger Aftenblad shows.

In March, 66% answered that exploration activities should be maintained, while 26% thought they should be scaled down. During the last six months, the proportion of those who want to stop exploration has grown to 34%. Now, 57% believe exploration should continue, the newspaper writes.

According to the survey, the voters of the Progress Party are most positive about further exploration. 87% percent want it to continue, while 11% want to step it down. None of the Green Party’s (MDG) wanted to continue oil exploration. 12% said they are insecure, while the remaining 88% wanted to step down oil exploration.

Labor Party voters are very divided – 50% want to continue exploration activities, while 47% want to step them down.

Survey details

The survey is based on telephone interviews with 800 people between August 30 and September 2 and has a margin of error between 2.5% and 3.5%.

More than 80% of the interviews were conducted after the government submitted a proposal for a new oil tax.

Prime Minister Erna Solberg (H) told the newspaper Aftenbladet that she believes the poll shows that discussions about climate change characterize the debate in Norway. 

The FRP voiced concerns. 

“I am pleased that a large majority still sees the need for exploration, but these are disturbing changes in a short time,” the party’s energy and environmental policy spokesperson Terje Halleland said.

Source: © NTB Scanpix / #Norway Today / #NorwayTodayNews

Do you have a news tip for Norway Today? We want to hear it. Get in touch at info@norwaytoday.no

Advertisements

Be the first to comment on "New survey: 57% of people in Rogaland want oil and gas exploration in Norway to continue"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*