Police ask people in Gjerdrum to avoid fireworks on New Year’s Eve: “It disrupts rescue work”

Roger PettersenPhoto: Jil Yngland / NTB
Advertisements

The police issued an urgent request to people in Gjerdrum to avoid fireworks on New Year’s Eve. Police are now considering a temporary ban on fireworks.

Due to the safety risks the fireworks could pose to resources and crews at the landslide site, there will be no helicopter in the air in Gjerdrum between 11:00 PM and 1:00 AM, the police said on Thursday morning.

> PHOTO: Rescue crews searched for people in Gjerdrum through the night, no new survivors found

The police staff is working on a possible temporary ban on fireworks.

“So far, it’s a request,” police task leader Roger Pettersen noted.

The police ask everyone in Gjerdrum municipality, especially in and around Ask, not to set off fireworks on New Year’s Eve.

“Helicopters and drones are used in the search work, as it is not possible to descend into the landslide area on foot. Fireworks will disrupt this work,” police task leader Dag Andre Sylju told TV 2 early Thursday morning.

A total of ten people have been transported to the hospital and emergency room after the landslide, but none of them are seriously injured.

Around 1,000 people have been evacuated so far.

© NTB Scanpix / #Norway Today

Advertisements

Be the first to comment on "Police ask people in Gjerdrum to avoid fireworks on New Year’s Eve: “It disrupts rescue work”"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*