Baby given a morphine overdose in hospital


A baby who was admitted to the Stavanger University Hospital for a urinary tract infection this summer was given morphine instead of antibiotics.

The six-week-old baby boy survived the incident but was placed in a medically induced coma in the intensive care unit.

An article in the Stavanger Aftenblad stated that the hospital reported the incident to the police while the baby’s mother gave her version of events to the Norwegian Health Authority, the hospital’s Health Safety and Environment department and the police,

Bjørn Øgländ, head of the HSE department, wrote in an email to the newspaper that the hospital has until October 1 to present its report on how the incident was handled and what measures are being taken to reduce the risk of recurrence. 

© NTB Scanpix / #Norway Today

RSS Feed

2 Comments on "Baby given a morphine overdose in hospital"

  1. SUS’s most loved patient | 30. September 2019 at 11:20 |

    I’m not surprised. Stavanger Sykehus is a death trap for anyone who enters their doors. I myself was overdosed on morphine one evening. I called the nurse to get the doctor because I was stopping breaking and struggling to get oxygen after they gave me too much. She just closed the door and left me to struggle to find my breath. This is just one of the ways SUS has provided neglectful treatment upon me. If you want more stories of just how disgusting the care is, please feel free to contact me.

  2. My son almost died at the hands of the incompetent doctors and nurses at that hospital. Nothing will change, especially when the health authorities agree with the hospital, that they followed protocol when it shows in my son’s file that they clearly didn’t. If you need anything to make a bigger case against this hospital, please contact me.

Comments are closed.