Norwegian Fire Protection Association believes extreme drought and a total ban on open flames in many areas should also lead to a break in the sale of disposable
Extremely dry conditions in almost all of Norway have already led to more forest fires. Now is the time to enjoy cold food if you are on a trip into nature, said the Norwegian Fire Protection Association and encouraged business to take responsibility and stop selling one-time grills.
“If possible, it would be brilliant that from Trøndelag and to the south, you avoid selling one-time grills for a period to come,” said Rolf Søtorp, CEO of the Norwegian Fire Protection Association to P4 radio.
He is supported by departmental director, Anne Rygh Pedersen, of the Directorate for Social Security and Emergency Planning (DSB). She said it’s important that everyone now takes responsibility to prevent forest fires.
“The most important thing is that people who have already bought disposable grills do not use them outdoors in nature,”she told the radio channel.
Rema stopped selling
The Rema 1000 store at Ulsrud in Oslo has received praise from the fire service because it has already taken responsibility and stopped selling such grills, wrote Dagbladet newspaper.Being located just east of Østmarka and popular Ulsrudvann,
there are many who shop there before a trip in the woods.
On the pallets with disposable grills in the shop, there are banners with the text: “A total ban on open fire has been introduced near forestry. Therefore, we have decided at Rema 1000 Ulsrud to temporarily suspend the sale of disposable grills.”
“We wanted to stop those who plan to fire up the one-time grills in the field. People will be able to cope with cold food in these days,’’ said merchant, Morten Wiik to the newspaper.
The Southwestern Police District reported on its Facebook page that a man in his 30s received a fine of a total of 5,000 kroner on Sunday when he, despite the ban, fired up a one-time barbecue at Haraldsvang in Haugesund.
‘’It caught fire in the grass around the grill and burned a square meter of grass. The man got a statutory fine and has to pay 5,000 kroner,’’ said lawyer, Sveinung Andersen.
© NTB scanpix / #Norway Today