Norwegian Muslims all over the country feel unsafe after the mosquito shooting in Bærum and ask the police for help in safeguarding the mosques.
In several of the country’s largest cities, Muslims report that the security of the mosques is not good enough, according to Vårt Land.
Between 600 and 700 members attend Friday prayers in Bergen Mosque weekly. Chairman Badreddine Maizi says they miss government action.
21-year-old Philip Manshaus attacked the Al-Noor Islamic Center mosque on Skui in Bærum on Saturday, August 10. He fired shots, but no one was seriously injured in the shooting. Manshaus is charged on terror charges.
Members of the Muslim community in Trondheim also believe that security measures are being cut short. Chairman Umer Farooq says the mosque has been in contact with the police and requested training in dealing with threatening situations. They are in regular contact with the police, he says.
In Drammen, the city’s largest Muslim congregation is building a brand new mosque. When the building was designed, they did not think about paying special attention to security, says construction manager Sajid Mukhtar. After the shooting, several members are concerned.
We ask ourselves how we can make sure that unauthorized people are not let in when we are present, says Mukhtar.
The almost completed building was scheduled to be blessed in connection with the Eid celebration last week, but the building contractor thought it was too unsafe and decided to cancel the event.
© NTB Scanpix / #Norway Today